Saturday, August 13, 2011

So Its come to this. Computer port extravaganza!

Look at all them ports!

Look at that. Both 400 and 800 firewire on the back. Don't they just make cables that do the 800 to 400 conversion (I know they do, I have one)? Aside from that I am impressed that this external drive offers so many ports. Its a Hitachi 2TB Duo Pro Quad Raid External Hard Drive available on sellout.woot (SOLD OUT). But... does anyone know why it has the USB B-type port (standard on printers) instead of the standard mini USB port that most HDDs have? Post answers in the comments.

btw, check out these craptastic reviews on the Best Buy site.

and here is a permalink to its 4tb brother on amazon

UPDATE: They actually sold out of them. that was fast. I was actually interested in getting it just for the HDDs, but I figured they'd be 5400s and therefore not worth it.

3 comments:

  1. That's an interesting combo. A lot of the newer drives have Dual 800 for chaining purposes, so the 800 and 400 just shows a shift in priority (or accepting the realization that nobody chains anyway). As for the USB - I prefer the usb B - I'm still at a loss why the smaller type is so popular in the 1st place.
    Vince

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the B type is perfect for such a large external, but Still doesn't explain why the standard mini isn't used.

    My understanding of why they often use the mini is because the device itself often needs to be powered via the USB. Does B Type have the power rail in it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But... does anyone know why it has the USB B-type port (standard on printers) instead of the standard mini USB port that most HDDs have? Post answers in the comments. Best buy computers

    ReplyDelete